Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tribute to Lacey

It's very sad to me to look at the post before this one and see my two sweet dogs and read over the sentence when I said that Lacey's sickness was nothing to worry about. It turns out that I was wrong. What We thought was kennel cough turned out to be distemper. Anyone who knows anything about this disease knows that it is bad news. It is a neurological disorder that starts out as a cough and cold and turns into seizures and other not so fun things. It has about an 80 percent mortality rate and even the dogs that do recover still have permanent neurological damage and seizures. We took Lacey to the emergency vet around 9:30 on Monday night because she had been having seizures all day. They kept her there over night to test her and give her medication to stop her seizures. I picked her up Tuesday morning and she just did not look good. I could tell that she was suffering and had the feeling that she wasn't going to get better. I took her to her regular vet and he confirmed this. Just the look on his face when he saw her told me all I needed to know. Unfortunately, there isn't really any treatment for it and she kept getting worse. We made the decision to put her to sleep because We didn't want her to suffer anymore. You all know how much we love our dogs so this decision truly broke our hearts . She was such a sweet little dog and so full of life. We will truly miss her and will never forget her even though she was only with us for such a short time. Here are a couple pictures and a video that remind me of happier times.

January 26th, 2008-June 17th, 2008







6 comments:

Papa Bear said...

I'm so sorry to hear about you losing Lacey. It is amazing how we can get so attached to pets - but I know first hand it is possible.

Carol said...

Sorry to hear about Lacey. Poor dog. I hope Ace isnt too sad about it.

Kara said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Lacey! How sad! She was such a sweet and cute little puppy! Poor Ace, I'll bet he is so sad, too! :(

Jensen Family said...

oh wow i had no idea about this! i'm so sorry! but you guys did the right thing in not letting her suffer. i hope you guys are ok, and lil ace too!

Lane & Ashley said...

Lauren! I'm so sorry about Lacey. I'm glad I got to meet her though. You'll have to find Ace a new buddy so he won't be sad, huh?

Gramma J said...

I'm very sorry to hear about Lacey. It's incredibly sad. She was so cute. I'm sure you all miss her. I'm glad she's not suffering anymore, though.