This past Saturday, my parents, my sister, Jacob, and I ran in Pat's Run down in Tempe. It's 4.2 miles long. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to make it the whole way (yes, I know, it's not that long) because it's been a while since I have exercised. But I figured what the heck, I'm young, if my mom can do it then I'm going to feel bad about myself if I can't. We woke up at 5:45 to make it down to the starting point by 7. Luckily for us it was cool and overcast, the perfect running conditions. The race started right at 7 but it took us a while to get to the actual starting line because there were so many people. They give you these cool little microchips to wear on your shoe that calculates when you pass the starting line to when you cross the finish line. I ran with my mom at our slow little pace but dang it, I was still moving. Eventually she left me because I had to walk for a little while so I ran the last mile or so alone. I finished in 49:27 which made me pretty proud. I was about to pass out but I made it. Jacob finished in 38:53. My dad beat us all, finishing thirty seconds or so before Jacob. Not bad for a 51-year-old huh?! My goal is to start running again and finish the Pat's Run next year in 40 minutes. Wish me luck!
Can you tell I'm exhausted?
4 comments:
Wow, Congrats! Thats like 11 min a mile, thats pretty good isnt it? Go Lauren! Maybe I'll join you next year!! I'd probably get like 90 minutes or something though. ;/
What a cool family tradition! How does a fat old man like me start training for one of these? I want to humilate Jacob also!
kudos to you! and actually you dont look exhausted, you look like your ready to run it again :)
can i join next year too?! Really, this sounds fun...
Post a Comment